Python Rountable (Saturday)
- profile.py affects the runtime but pretty accurate
- hotshot was introduced in 2.1 or 2.2 has lower runtime overhead
- Boa constrictor ("Delphi for Python") also has a profiler
- Thread locks in Python can cause performance problems
- Pyrex is python compatible
- Boost::Python works well on PC
- Someone ported to GameCube, squeezed out float, long int, file support, modules, etc. got down to 340k
- Look up Python on embedded systems article
- Python for 8-bit microcontrollers is coming: many limitations but 63k and no heap usage
- __slots__ space efficient statically sized objects
- Python normally 1.7 MB footprint
- Lua has a 100k footprint including compiler and interpreter and is much faster. Has patches for reference counting instead of mark and sweep garbage collection. Easy to timeslice.
- www.python.org good for support, see python-dev mailing list for porting help.
- (missed last half)